Val wrote:
>I must wholly disagree here.  Our former stake president is only
>high school educated and a construction worker.  He was my Bishop when I
>was a little girl, and back then he was managing a health spa.  In fact,
>we had no font in the building, so I was baptized in the pool at the
spa.
>They always lived in very modest homes--not luxurious at all.
>He is also one of the most spiritual men I have ever known.
>The SP before him lost his job, was supporting a son on a
>mission, AND SP.  They were living out of their food storage for many
>months while he was unemployed.  Again, probably THE most spiritual man
>have ever known.  He spoke at my husband's funeral in March.  I swear,
he
>still speaks directly to the Lord.

Well. I guess the unwritten rule was broken. I appreciate hearing these
stories. It helps me see just how flexible the Lord can be.

>I don't know how you can know who the Lord accepts and who He
>doesn't anyway?  You must have some bitter experience to be speaking
this
>way about the Lord's annointed.  I believe the scriptures are clear when
>we are told we need nothing more that a broken heart and a contrite
>spirit.  I see nothing there about advanced degrees or family money or
an
>excellent salary.

I don't understand why you said the above. How have I spoken against the
Lord's anointed? Isn't it so that our beloved leaders have advanced
degrees, family money, excellent salaries, and prestigious careers? I'm
only pointing out the facts as I have noted them from the Church News.
However, I did my little study several years ago. Perhaps I'm out of date
regarding the unwritten rule? I've said nothing against the leaders or
against the Lord for that matter. I'm simply pointing out policy as I
understand it based on my view of the results. I will admit that I used
to annoyed about it in the past. But it is the Lord's church and he can
do whatever he wants, so I have come to accept it. If the Lord wants a
bricklayer for an apostle or a street sweeper--he can do it. But his
policies show otherwise. Obviously hidden talents of blue collar men are
not given the opportunity to serve in the highest leadership positions in
the church. But this is the will of the Lord and so it goes.

>I'm sure if we were to do a survey of SP's, and even Area A's you
>would find a majority of them are humble "Laborers".   I think the fact
>that our beloved President Hinckley was a man of fairly meager means
>should be enough.  After all, shouldn't we all be laborers in the Lord's
>vineyards?

The statistics say otherwise, Val. I don't think Elder Hinkley was rich
by any means but I'm sure he had sufficient for his means and he rose to
the top of his class. That is the sort of man the Lord looks at before
the call is made.

>As for resources--we are told, time and time again, to get out of
>debt and to save money.  The men "UP" there have obviously done just
>that.  If you want to be there, then follow the prophet.  Simple

I'm working on it. :-)

Paul O
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Only $9.95 per month!