This is the problem with many liberal writers-they make statements from
the heart, regardless of whether they back up their statements with
facts, or if those facts are correct.
First off, the president has shown himself not to be a "mental
lightweight." Second, where is the evidence that Cheney is an "evil
power", especially when no actual misdeeds have been shown at Haliburton
Oil?  Third, Rumsfeld never was a senator, perhaps the author should try
looking up in the dictionary the difference between Secretary of Defense
and Attorney General????
So, if anyone is a "lightweight" here, it is the author of the article.
I know we USAmericans do have an enormous patriotism (at times), but we
also have a lot of suspicion. Isn't it interesting that discussions on
whether we should go to war with Iraq are right or not are going on in
this country? A blind patriot wouldn't have such discussions going on. As
for "evil", I'll bet this guy still supports Clinton as a great
president. And how about those Democratic senators involved in Enron and
Global Crossing? Are they "evil" also? If you're going to call one person
evil, then you at least need to be consistent. Finally, show you've at
least done some homework (who was this guy's copy editor, to let such
slop slip through?), and get the facts straight.

I'm a historian (among other trades), and I've not only seen Ken Burns'
Civil War, but I've read several studies on it. yes, it was a tragedy.
But massive deaths on both sides only shows the tragedy of war, not its
justification. The North fought for union and to defeat slavery, while
the South fought for states' rights and to keep their slaves. All very
key issues for anyone calling himself an American. But a Canadian may not
fully understand that, as Canada has never had to struggle with slavery,
states' rights, or a major fight to maintain its unity. It's kind of like
an American today not understanding poverty or slavery, because we just
don't have it as drastic as other nations, unless they travel and live in
another place for some time and learn to appreciate it. I like what
ex-Black Panther Eldridge Cleaver said when he returned from Russia,
"there is more freedom in an American jail than on the streets of
Moscow."

Should cost only be counted in body bags? What is the total value of
freedom from terror, or to maintain our sovereignty? Ten body bags?
Twenty? One hundred? Or should we just curl up in a corner and accept the
idea that no amount of body bags are worth the cost of freedom.

Americans do not honor war. Americans honor freedom and those who defend
that great treasure, which only a minority of homo sapiens enjoy in this
world.  Flags fly, because unlike the flags of other nations (including
Canada's), ours represent our freedom and vision. It is a vision that has
endured since Thomas Jefferson inked those sacred words on a piece of
parchment: "We hold these truths to be self-evident...life, liberty, and
the pursuit of happiness."

Few nations have made a love of freedom so innate with the human spirit
as have Americans. This inspires some, and infuriates many who do not
have the same vision. The French, who seek equality and brotherhood,
cannot understand what real freedom is. This is why their revolution
failed. Most nations do not have a Jefferson or a Thomas Paine. Few have
men who are anything but "summer soldiers" that sneak home when the
winter chill is in the air. Few have a group of men willing to sign their
death warrants on such a parchment as the Declaration of Independence, or
to truly seek that freedom for all men; allowing that freedom to expand
to other groups not originally included, such as blacks and women. Today,
there are many nations that still have slaves, and that still treat women
like dogs. We stand as symbol which those nations hate. Should we be
ashamed of the truth and light we've brought to the world? "A city on a
hill cannot be hid, neither does one light a candle and place it under a
bushel."

Perhaps what irritates me most is liberal duplicity and using the Iraq
war as an extension of their (and in this case, Canadian) vanity.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Marc quoting article:
On the other hand, we have the axis of Bush-Chaney-Rumsfeld. What a
triumvirate. The President is a mental lightweight. The Vice President
is the evil power behind the throne, the man who walked away from his
insider misdeeds at Halliburton Oil. (Remember too that two of the three
of the sacred triumvirate are oilmen.) Then  there is Rummy. He has
visions of some kind of military sugarplums dancing in his head. He is
and was a devout right-wing fundamentalist who lost his senate seat to a
dead man's wife....Perhaps what irritates me most is that the Iraq war is
an extension of
American vanity.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com