After much pondering, Marc A. Schindler favored us with:
Incidentally true conservatism as we understand it outside the US is "Toryism,"
and seeks merely to preserve the status quo. It is most ironic to me that the one
single thing that led to Thatcher's downfall was her imposition of a poll tax. If
I recall my US history correctly, wasn't a poll tax one of the so-called
"Intolerable Acts"?
I don't think so, but I may be wrong. The Stamp Act is what most enraged the American colonials. The could not transact any business without buy a stamp to make their paperwork official. Without a stamp, no contract was binding, and the stamps were expensive. Other outrages that incited the Yankees had to do with tariffs and duties. The colonials were used to free trade, and were willing to resort to smuggling to gain it. Tariffs and duties frustrated what they considered the right to trade. It was on this account that we had our famous Boston Tea Party, one of the most wonderful things to ever happen in the history of mankind, in my opinion. Another was "the shot heard 'round the world" fired at Lexington and Concord. I wish we could do it again. It would have been wonderful to have lived in that day when freedom was a flame upon every lip, or at least every lip that mattered.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"A liberal in the Church is merely one who does not have
a testimony." --President Harold B. Lee

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///