At 10:56 AM 11/10/2002, you wrote:
It's something the party takes a lot of ribbing for, but arose because in the
Depression era, or even early for all I can remember, the Prairie-based Populist
group, the Progressives, joined with the Tory, Bay Street boys, the
Conservatives.

Incidentally true conservatism as we understand it outside the US is "Toryism,"
and seeks merely to preserve the status quo. It is most ironic to me that the one
single thing that led to Thatcher's downfall was her imposition of a poll tax. If
I recall my US history correctly, wasn't a poll tax one of the so-called
"Intolerable Acts"?
Not that I'm aware of. The intolerable or coercive acts consisted of:

Quartering Act: Established March 24, 1765
This bill required that Colonial Authorities to furnish barracks and supplies to British troops. In 1766, it was expanded to public houses and unoccupied buildings, and was updated again June 2, 1774, to include occupied buildings.

Boston Port Bill: Effective June 1, 1774:
This bill closed the port of Boston to all colonists until, the damages from the Boston Tea Party were paid for.

Administration of Justice Act: Effective May 20, 1774
This bill stated that British Officials could not be tried in provincial courts for capital crimes. They would be extradited back to Britain and tried there. This effectively gave the British free reign to do whatever they wished, because no justice would be served while they were still in the colonies.

Massachusetts Government Act: Effective May 20, 1774
This bill effectively annulled the charter of the colonies, giving the British Governor complete control of the town meetings, and taking control out of the hands of the colonialists.

Quebec Act: Established May 20, 1774 This bill extended the Canadian borders to cut off The western colonies of Conn. Mass. and Va.

--
Steven Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nations are defined by their founders. George Washington set a standard of
selfless public service and heroic private virtue against which American
politicians continue to be measured - and found wanting - even today." --Steven W. Mosher
/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///