Let's face it - there are bigots of all kinds in the world.  As you point
out, "mental" illness is often a physical deficiency that affects the
mechanisms of the brain.

My mother was "mentally" ill most of her life, and we suffered greatly for
it.  Near her death (heart failure resulting from an allergic reaction to an
iodine compound given for a liver test) it was noted by me that she became
normal after a dialysis treatment, and gradually faded back to certifiable
after about 6 weeks.

The best guess at this late date is that she suffered from a dopamine
imbalance.  Oh how I wish that she had some drugs available to help her (and
my father and four brothers) then.

I have run into allergy bigots (it's all in your head), addiction bigots
(you just have to gut it out), mental illness bigots (just grow up), etc.

Like Jim sort of suggests, take your pills and tell 'em it's insulin.

Jon