It's just been announced on CBC Radio that Francie Ducros has decided to
leave the PMO (Prime Minister's Office) staff, and return to the general
public service -- code for a position not attached to a ministry; in
practice it means even private comments wouldn't provoke the kind of
"interest" that they have. There's been widespread rumours amongst
journalists that she had burned all her bridges with her journalistic
contacts anyway, out of over-zealous loyalty to the PMO, and that's why
the reporter who overheard her private remark decided to put it on the
public record -- the journalism community had nothing to lose by blowing
up a valuable inside source.

In this morning's Globe and Mail, veteran editor Margaret Wente says
Ducros should have said "'Mormon!', I meant 'Mormon' -- yeah, that's it,
George Bush is a Mormon." She says at least then she would have been
wrong in fact and it could have been patched up better. As even many
USAmericans seem to harbour a fear that Bush is less than a stellar
intellectual, despite his university degrees (which have less currency
these days anyway), they are particularly thin-skinned about comments
regarding Bush's intelligence. As I have suggested to USAmericans who
are over-reacting, leave the thin-skinned theatrics to us Canuckistanis.
We do it far better, having had more practice. ;-)

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he
will pick himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
author’s employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.