I think what John's trying to say, if I may be so presumptuous, is that the
principle is clear. It is the judgement at the individual level that we are
cautioned about. I believe my grandmother, who passed away in April at 96 to have
been one of the most Christian people I ever knew, yet she never accepted the
Gospel (although of course we are having the work done for her). I don't believe
she was in a position, despite having two grandsons, a step-great-grandson, two
great-grandsons, a great-grandson-in-law and a soon-to-be
great-granddaughter-in-law who all served missions (Germany, French Polynesia,
Toronto, Russia, Philippines, Australia and Temple Square respectively) to truly
comprehend the Gospel. As she is too close to me for me to accurately judge --
were I even to attempt to -- I express only a prayer and a hope. But she was a
huge spirit.

"John W. Redelfs" wrote:

> After much pondering, Jon Spencer favored us with:
> >If someone (a) takes on the name of Christ, and (b) keeps His commandments
> >which he has given them, then that person IMVHO is a true Christian.
>
> The first thing a person must do to qualify as a true Christian is to
> believe in him.  Then he must keep the commandment to be baptized.  Unless
> he does at least these two things he cannot qualify as a true Christian.
>
> One cannot keep the commandments of Christ without an authorized baptism
> because such a baptism is the first commandment that must be kept after a
> person professes a belief in Christ.
>
> >They may not have as many commandments given to them as we have, but then
> >again
> >the Nephites didn't have all the commandments given to them that we have had
> >given to us, and neither has anyone else that I have a firm knowledge of.
>
> This point is not relevant in my opinion.  Each people has to keep the law
> that they have.  The Lord does not expect anyone to live a law that he does
> not have.  But in the case under discussion, the full law of Christ is
> available to anyone to accept or reject.  This has been true since the
> Church was organized in 1830.  One cannot reject the gospel and claim to
> follow Christ.  It is an oxymoron.
>
> >Of course, I haven't read a "real" definition of a "True Christian" so I
> >guess we may each have our own.
>
> A true Christian is one that follows Christ in thought, word and deed.  And
> that means accepting the gospel from our missionaries.  Those who claim to
> accept Christ and refuse his only baptism are either dishonest or confused.
>
> >But in any event, I am not going to go around telling people that they are
> >not "true" Christians, and I know that you are not going to do that
> >either.  I think that we will both do our best to get as many of our Bros
> >and Sisters to do all their own work, and not leave it to someone else
> >later on to complete.
>
> I agree that we shouldn't "go around telling people that they are not
> 'true' Christians.  Nor did I suggest such a thing.  But we need to
> understand the truth even if others reject it.  Besides, here on this list
> I am speaking to a converted, Mormon audience.  I'm not talking to some
> hypothetical "people" who are not members of the Church.
>
> John W. Redelfs                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "...by proving contraries, truth is made manifest" --Joseph
> Smith, History of the Church, Volume 6, p.248
> All my opinions are tentative pending further data. --JWR

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill