> Tom, I like the way you think. Although, all things considered, I'd
like
> think President Hinckley argues to be in the world, but not of it.
Which
> is
> not a bad place to be if you can do it.
>
> Ron

I agree with that, but I was obliquely referencing the exhortation in
Moroni 10:

30 And again I would exhort you that ye would come unto Christ, and lay
hold upon every good gift, and touch not the evil gift, nor the unclean
thing.
31 And awake, and arise from the dust, O Jerusalem; yea, and put on thy
beautiful garments, O daughter of Zion; and strengthen thy stakes and
enlarge thy borders forever, that thou mayest no more be confounded,
that the covenants of the Eternal Father which he hath made unto thee, O
house of Israel, may be fulfilled.
32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves
of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness
and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace
sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and
if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny
the power of God.

There is very real necessity for the covenant Saints of God to separate
themselves from worldly things, if not the world, in a very real way. We
can't touch the unclean things, and we know what they are, without
trouble. Elder Quentin L. Cook touched on this in the last conference in
his memorable address: Are You a Saint? He defined what I meant by being
separate from the world. Here's a portion of that talk:

Quote Mode On:
The word saint in Greek denotes "set apart, separate, [and] holy." 4 If
we are to be Saints in our day, we need to separate ourselves from evil
conduct and destructive pursuits that are prevalent in the world.

We are bombarded with visual images of violence and immorality.
Inappropriate music and pornography are increasingly tolerated. The use
of drugs and alcohol is rampant. There is less emphasis on honesty and
character. Individual rights are demanded, but duties, responsibilities,
and obligations are neglected. There has been a coarsening of dialogue
and increased exposure to that which is base and vulgar. The adversary
has been relentless in his efforts to undermine the plan of happiness.
If we separate ourselves from this worldly conduct, we will have the
Spirit in our lives and experience the joy of being worthy Latter-day
Saints.

As Saints, we also need to avoid the worship of worldly gods. President
Hinckley has expressed the desire that "everyone might have some of the
good things of life" but has cautioned, "It is the obsession with riches
that cankers and destroys." 5

In 1630 John Winthrop set forth a vision for the new land (America) on
behalf of his fellow passengers as he sailed on board the Arbella. It
has become known as "The City upon a Hill" sermon. In the final
paragraph, Winthrop references Deuteronomy 30 [Deut. 30] and warns
against worshiping and serving other gods-particularly emphasizing
"pleasures, and profits." 6 In the recent past President Kimball
counseled that even homes, boats, credentials, titles, and other similar
pursuits can be worshiped as idols when they entice us away from love
and service to God. 7

The prophet Moroni, speaking of our day, warned about the love of money
and substance and suggested that we would love them more than we "love
the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted." 8

If we are to be worthy Saints, we should minister to others and adhere
to the Savior's admonition to love God and our fellowmen.

Separation from the evils of the world needs to be accompanied by
holiness. A Saint loves the Savior and follows Him in holiness and
devotion. 9 Evidence of this kind of holiness and devotion is
exemplified by consecration and sacrifice. President Hinckley has
taught, "Without sacrifice there is no true worship of God." 10
Sacrifice is the crowning test of the gospel. It means consecrating
time, talents, energy, and earthly possessions to further the work of
God. In Doctrine and Covenants 97, verse 8 [D&C 97:8], it concludes,
"All . who . are willing to observe their covenants by sacrifice-yea,
every sacrifice which I, the Lord, shall command-they are accepted of
me."

Saints who respond to the Savior's message will not be led astray by
distracting and destructive pursuits and will be prepared to make
appropriate sacrifices. The importance of sacrifice to those who want to
be Saints is exemplified by the atoning sacrifice of the Savior, which
is at the center of the gospel. 11
End of Quote:

Tom