Well, Ron, you asked us to tell what we believe and not quote others. I
did just as you asked.

Now, does this mean I think everyone in Europe or China is evil? Of
course not. I think tyranny holds down the very good and humble people
as effectively as it does the wicked. Just look at how the Lamanites and
priests of Noah controlled the lives of Alma and his people, until they
were able to escape.

Now, I hope I'm wrong about the Beasts, etc.  And I admit it is my
opinion. But just because you disagree with it, does not make it wrong.
I explained my thoughts on it briefly, and you simply attacked it as,
and I quote, "B.S."  Surely someone with as much knowledge of worldly
things as you can come up with some logical argument. Try dissuading me
with cogent arguments, rather than attacking me personally, eh?

I know about Europe. I have a Master's Degree in history, and my key
area of study was Europe.  There are major factors that differentiate
the American Revolution from the French Revolution. Those factors remain
valid today, and are the key reasons for the rifts between the two
nations. Depending upon whose ground one stands, I suppose you could see
the other group as unstable, wrong-headed, and perhaps even evil. When
Gore Vidal says that Bush would have been hanged by the Founding Fathers
for being a despot, he obviously meant the forefathers of the French.
His is clearly a European argument, which unsurprisingly, is the
argument used by many (not all) liberals here. Why some liberals feel
more free in France than here, is simply an issue of how (or what) they
define freedom.  There are huge chasms of difference between John Adams
the forefather and Thomas Jefferson the forefather.  I highly doubt
Jefferson would have hung Bush. OTOH, the French slew thousands who
disagreed with the political flavor of the month. We hear of
guillotines, but few know of how people were tied to boats that were
sunk, or were staked in fields where cannons were shot to slay them. The
French political establishment was one where one had to remain in the
"center" (which was continually moving further left),  while the enemies
of the right were killed. Today, outspoken voices are rarely heard in
France, because there is little actual freedom of opinion or speech
there. Meanwhile, over the past few decades, American freedom of speech
has been enhanced and grown by a variety of television, radio, and
internet blogs that cover all spectrums of the political wavelength.

Gary

Ron Scott wrote:

> [...]

Gerald (Gary) Smith
geraldsmith@ juno.com