At 06:40 PM 3/5/2004, you wrote:
Orrin Hatch feels that ONLY a federal marriage amendment will provide an effective barrier against judicial activism redefining marriage to include same-sex marriage.
Apparently Steve Farrell agrees. So does Redelfs. Anything less than a federal amendment will be swept away by the flood of filth we are currently witnessing.

Some may argue that an amendment cannot be passed because it requires a two-thirds vote of both houses and ratification of three-fourths of the states. I hope that is not true because if it is, then the battle is lost. If we cannot pass an amendment, then our goose is cooked. I pray that it is not so.

John W. Redelfs

According to Boyd K. Packer, in his speech given at the J. Reuben Clark Center at BYU (See: http://www.lds.org/newsroom/voice/display/0,18255,5004-1-61,00.html):

<Quote>
The present major political debate centers on values and morals and the Constitution.

There occurs from time to time reference to the Constitution hanging by a thread. President Brigham Young said:

The general Constitution of our country is good, and a wholesome government could be framed upon it; for it was dictated by the invisible operations of the Almighty. ...

Will the Constitution be destroyed? No. It will be held inviolate by this people; and as Joseph Smith said "the time will come when the destiny of this nation will hang upon a single thread, and at this critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction." It will be so.23

I do not know when that day will come or how it will come to pass. I feel sure that when it does come to pass, among those who will step forward from among this people will be men who hold the Holy Priesthood and who carry as credentials a bachelor or doctor of law degree. And women, also, of honor. And there will be judges as well.

Others from the world outside the Church will come, as Colonel Thomas Kane did, and bring with them their knowledge of the law to protect this people.

We may one day stand alone, but we will not change or lower our standards or change our course.
</Quote>

Even if the rest of the nation is destroyed the Constitution will be preserved.

-- Steven Montgomery [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Senior Editor, The Constitutional Banner Newsletter
http://www.thecbn.net