--On 13. Oktober 2005 02:54:51 -0400 Chris Spencer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But what if the client doesn't know what sources it's supposed to have?
What if it only has a limited understanding of the objects, and needs to
load certain objects on the server from scratch. Is this really a
necessary limitation? I realize I may be using Zope in a way it was not
designed for, but wouldn't it be useful to persist the entire object,
source code as well as state?

Sorry, this is a stupid assumption. The ZODB stores Python pickles and not any kind of source. Means when you load objects from the ZODB the corresponding classes in terms of sources must be present to unpickle the data. This means for you: every ZEO client need the full source. This is not an implementation issue but just an issue of your ZEO installation: when you load data from the ZODB then the sources must be present, otherwise your objects will be broken. Point.

-aj