I know this has been raised several times in the past, but I'm not sure of all the details...

What layer of ZODB, if any, has a restriction that OIDs be 8-byte strings. Is it the persistence module? Or just FileStorage? Also is there a reason (performance, space?) for this restriction, and would anyone be interested in seeing it removed.

I'm asking because I'm planning a pretty complex storage layer, which would benefit from more complex OIDs (for instance bigger strings, or tuples of (str, int)).

Thanks,

Florent