On 9 Dec 2005, at 16:46, Tim Peters wrote:
I'm asking because I'm planning a pretty complex storage layer, which
would benefit from more complex OIDs (for instance bigger strings, or
tuples of (str, int)).

An oid is a low-level implementation thingie, and IMO that's probably not the right place to put complexity. If you don't expect to have more than
2**N objects, an oid that requires more than N bits is in some sense
extravagant ;-). In any case, you should be able to use "bigger strings"
now without changing anything.

Oh I agree, but if my storage (think SQL) has internally other kinds of identifiers, like autoincremented integer primary keys, and several tables depending on object kind, I want to reuse its concepts and pack them into an oid like 'footable_12345'.

Anyway thanks for the answers, I know in what direction to move now.

Florent