Tim Peters wrote at 2006-4-13 19:44 -0400:
>Beyond that, it requires someone to try
>it.  I'm reminded that when the MEMS Exchange wrote Durus (a kind of
>"ZODB lite" ;-):
>
>    http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/durus/
>
>)
>
>they left their entire BTree implementation coded in Python -- it was
>"fast enough" that way.

I can tell you from experience that for cataloguing purposes
a C implementation is vital:

   My C based "IncrementalSearch2"
   performs large "or" queries two orders of magnitude faster
   than the Python based "IncrementalSearch".

Going from 4 to 8 byte integers will not have this huge effect.
Nevertheless, the C implemented algorithms will mostly be considerably
slower (I estimate between 20 and 35 percent), unless we are on
a 64bit machine.

--
Dieter