On Nov 6, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Roché Compaan wrote:

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 17:40 -0200, Sidnei da Silva wrote:
Despite this change there are still a huge amount
of unexplained calls to the 'persistent_id' method of the ObjectWriter
in serialize.py.

Why 'unexplained'? 'persistent_id' is called from the Pickler instance
being used in ObjectWriter._dump(). It is called for each and every
single object reachable from the main object, due to the way Pickler
works (I believe). Maybe persistent_id can be analysed and optimized
for the most common cases?

If you look at the profiler stats I posted earlier you would have
noticed that there was about 1.3 million calls to persistent_id while
only 20000 objects were persisted. So if it is being called for each
object I would expect a figure closer to 20000, not 1.3 million. What am
I missing?

It's called for *all* objects, not just persistent objects. This includes, ints, strings (including attribute names), etc.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation