Jim Fulton wrote:

On Jan 27, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Shane Hathaway wrote:
I hope the patch, or a modified version of the patch, will be accepted for inclusion in ZODB 3.9. A monkey patch version is possible, but I'm trying to avoid that.

I'm tentatively planning on including it in 3.9. I need to review it carefully. I also plan to make other changes in the invalidation mechanisms, so I'd like to take this into account at the same time.

I'm really glad to hear that. I tried to make the patch as simple as I could. Here is an overview of the changes the patch makes:

* Connection.__init__() looks for a method of the storage called bind_connection. If it exists, the Connection calls bind_connection() and gets back a Connection-specific storage object, which the Connection should use in place of the original storage. This way, each storage instance can hold Connection-specific state.

* If the storage has an attribute called propagate_invalidations set to a false value, Connection.invalidate() no longer accepts any invalidation messages. The storage.poll_invalidations() method becomes the sole source of invalidation information.

* Connection.close() calls storage.connection_closing() if the method exists. This allows the storage to release resources while the connection is not in use.

* Connection._flush_invalidations() calls storage.poll_invalidations() if the method exists. poll_invalidations() returns either a sequence of OIDs the Connection needs to invalidate, or the value None, which means the entire cache needs to be invalidated (which can happen if a connection has not been used in a long time).

* The DB class also calls connection_closing() after initialization, to free storage resources used during initialization.

I admit that polling for invalidations probably limits scalability, but I have not yet found a better way to match ZODB with relational databases. Polling in both PostgreSQL and Oracle appears to cause no delays right now, but if the polling becomes a problem, within RelStorage I can probably find ways to reduce the impact of polling, such as limiting the polling frequency.

Shane