> I'd just like to add that there's some changes that can be related to this:
>
> - we had some classes inheriting from Persistent that now inherit from
> something else as well (but no extra arguments are being added, AFAIK);
> - we added some zope.interface definitions to some Persistent classes;
>
> maybe this causes some kind of behavior that we were not aware of?

I doubt it.  Thousnads of people are doing this and do not report the same
behavior.

What is more likely is that a programmer is changing a persistent object
very often.  One of the downsides of the ZODB is that it is so transparent
it is possible to unwillingly make database changes.

A design pattern for RDBMS is to have 2 pools. READ pool and WRITE pool.
Often the READ pool comes from some replica and WRITE is to the master.
I'm unsure this pattern would work for ZODB.  I know Malthe was thinking
about this but unsure if he had anything concrete.

cheers
alan