On Tue 27 Jun 2006 at 08:27AM, Jerry Jelinek wrote:
> Mike Gerdts wrote:
> >>I also like the idea of activating FSS if the zone.cpu-shares
> >>parameter is set. Given that activating FSS requires a reboot of the
> >>global zone, you should add a check to see if FSS is already active
> >>and if it is not, put out a warning message indicating that a reboot
> >>of the global is required to make FSS active. For that matter, there
> >>should be a warning message on zone boot that FSS is not active and
> >>the configured zone.cpu-shares value will be ignored.
> >
> >No reboot is required.  See poolbind in this example:
> >http://users.tpg.com.au/adsln4yb/zones.html#resource_cpu1
>
> Phil,
>
> Mike as already responded with a bunch of useful information.
> However, I looked at this url and on this one point regarding setting
> FSS as the default, it doesn't look like it actually shows you how to
> do this.
>
> You don't have to reboot to make FSS the default and have all
> of the global zones processes running under FSS.  Instead, you can
> do something like this:
>
>       # dispadmin -d FSS
>         # dispadmin -u
>         # priocntl -s -c FSS -i all
>         # priocntl -s -c FSS -i pid 1
>
> I see the -u option on dispadmin is undocumented.  I'll have to
> look at that and see if it might make sense to raise its stability.

Jerry,

Just FYI, please thoroughly digest PSARC/2004/471 before recommending
the use of -u or considering documenting it.  In short, your steps
should work without needing the -u option, since -d causes an update to
both the persistent file-based setting and to the kernel:

# dispadmin -d FSS
# priocntl -s -c FSS -i all
# priocntl -s -c FSS -i pid 1

        -dp