From: "James Carlson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Erik Nordmark writes:
> It depends on the administrator's mental model for the system.

Agreed. My point is that the model for an exclusive-IP zone is different
in important aspects than the shared-IP zones.

And in other important aspects it's the same: it's still a single
shared kernel and a single set of hardware resources.

For that reason, I don't believe it's entirely wrong for users to want
to be able to answer questions such as "what addresses are being used
by this node?"
Anyway, as I said at the beginning, I think making ifconfig work this
way would be very hard to do, and likely would not work well.  Though
users often think of ifconfig as the sole way to interact with
networking interfaces (because that's the way it works everywhere but
Solaris), I don't think that's reasonably doable here, even if it's
something that might be wanted.

So how would you propose a system administrator, in the global
zone, bring together all of the network addresses configured for
his machine?

Does this now require zlogin and a loop through all of the zones
that are currently booted?

Will this be "too hard" for those that want to do it?

Thinking on this, would it be "nice" if there was some special command
line switch for the likes of netstat/ifconfig and others that caused them to
iterate through all of the present stack instances and report on them?

Darren