>That's a real pain as that prevent us to use zones as hosting servers for
>users :
>- we are a school and we just want to identify connections. Starting with mail
>sending.
>Zones would break our identification model.
>It would be real nice if some solution could be found.

I've done some work on pidentd prior to the new IP instances code using the
ability to intercept calls for all zones in the global zone with the
SO_ALLZONES socket option (which may not work anymore after the IP
instances putback)

In that scenario, there's one pidentd which runs in the global zone and it
gets all identd calls for all zones which do not have exclusive IP
instances; it is then able to resolve all identd queries but using
nameservices relative to the global zone.

Casper