Hi Philip
Just to be absolutely clear

the zonepath is in an inherited dir of the zone?
ie /usr/lcoal/zones which is the zonepath is also inherited as it's a
sparse zone.
Could I see your zonecfg info for the failing sparse zone ( also one for
the whole root zone that fails )

If the zonepath is also on an inherited dir of the zone, then this will
not work, and actually zoneadm should probably stop one from doing this
But if it's not the case then please forward the zonecfg info as I need
to try and determine the root of the problem.

Enda