Mike Gerdts wrote:
> On 10/30/07, Norm Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'm not on zones-discuss, but this was forwarded to me.  It sounds like
>> you created a local print queue for your network attached printer in
>> your source zone.  When you clone that zone, the printers.conf file
>> entry in the new zone references the hostname of the source zone, so the
>> print commands try and contact the print service in the source zone
>> instead of the current zone.  You can fix this by configuring a queue
>> for your printer in the global zone (or on another system) and then
>> configuring access to the "remote" queue.
>>

> It seems as though printers.conf could point to localhost in the
> "master" zone and the clones would then also point to their respective
> selves.  Is there something broken with that approach?

Not that we don't see it, but we don't recommend configuring more than
one system (or zone in your situation) as a print server for a network
attached printer.  Doing so can cause starvation and doesn't provide you
with an accurate view of the print queue because there are multiple
queues feeding the device.  The bottom line there is that you can end up
submitting a print job, appear to be printing or ready to print and sit
there while other systems (or zones) are busy printing copies of the
phone book.  Every time you check the queue, you are either "printing"
or waiting for the device, but the activity on the device is invisible
to your system or zone.  Now, if the printer in question isn't going to
be particularly busy or is only really used by a small number of people,
it's not a real problem.

    -Norm

PS.
  There was a ARC case and bug fix that address using localhost in
printers.conf in Nevada, but it's intention was more to address the
needs of systems that hop addresses due to dhcp.
   LSARC 2005/505 Selectable use of "localhost" for print server
   6236627 lpadmin should set host to "localhost"

-Norm