I am wondering if the following setup on S10u4 with local zones will work, or
can be made to work.
The setup is meant be used as a backend for a loadbalancer which uses the
direct-return method,
that is, no NAT but the balanced service talks directly to the client.

In all zones running a service I confgure the same IP address on a vni
interface, I know you can configure a single IP only on a single interface,
AFAIK that means that I cannot run more than one instance of the same  service
on a single global zone.

The local zones will not get a 'real' interface configured, only the vni
interface.
The global zone has a real interface configured with a real IP address.
The loadbalancer will use host routing to direct traffic to the correct global
zone.

My theoretical setup would have this set of addresses and routes configured:

Host 1:
global zone   bge0 192.168.1.1/24
                  vni0  10.1.1.254/24
zone1          vni1  10.1.1.1/24
zone2          vni2  10.1.1.2/24
zone3          vni3  10.1.1.3/24

  Host 2:
global zone   bge0 192.168.1.2/24
                  vni0  10.1.1.254/24
zone1          vni1  10.1.1.1/24
zone2          vni2  10.1.1.2/24
zone3          vni3  10.1.1.3/24

Default routes would be the same on both hosts, destinations would be
10.1.1.254 and 192.168.1.254

What would happen if the load balancer would send a packet with destination
address 10.1.1.1 and source address some public address  on the internet the
mac address of bge0 of host 2 ?
(the load balancer has selected 192.168.1.2 as the destination for this session
to 10.1.1.1 and
did an arp for 192.168.1.2 to find the mac for 192.168.1.2)

Would that end up in zone 2  ? And if zone2 retrurns traffic would that end up
on 192.168.1.254 who whould be able to route it to the final destination.

TIA
 Paul