On 3 Dec 2007, at 12:49, James Carlson wrote:

> Paul Van Der Zwan writes:
>> I'm having a problem figuring out why my ping replies never get sent.
>
> There's no way for any of your configured zones to transmit, so they
> don't.  "Vni" is really not much different from "lo0."  You cannot
> transmit packets on "vni" -- it's just a place to hang a local IP
> address.  That's why they say "NOXMIT" when you configure them.
>
>> The global zone has 192.168.200.14 configured on bge0
>
> You need to give your zones access to bge0 if you want them to
> transmit there.  You "give access" by assigning an address on that
> interface.

What I was trying to do was have the option of running multiple
zones, on
different hosts, configured with the same IP address on a VNI interface
so a loadbalancer can balance between different zones, each with the
same
configuration as far as the application, running within the zone,is
concerned.
If I give each zone a unique address on the bge0 intf. and an
application address
on the vni, will the zone be able to route traffic out to the client?
For example:

service address=10.1.1.1
default gateway=192.168.1.254
zone1 on host1 has 192.168.1.1 on bge0 and 10.1.1.1 on vni0
zone1 on host2 has 192.168.1.2 on bge0 and 10.1.1.1 on vni0

The loadbalancer routes 10.1.1.1 traffic for session1 to 192.168.1.1
Would traffic from zone1 be able to go out to the internet using the
default gateway
192.168.1.254 with a source of 10.1.1.1 or would the source become
192.168.1.1 ( even if
the application binds to 10.1.1.1 ) ?

Is there some documentation on the routing in Solaris 10 esp. in
combination with zones ?

TIA
        Paul