Thanks. That got me further, gnome-session runs, but now nautilus crashes.
Also, I can start up a terminal but I can't see any text because the background
color is black. I see the following in my VNC log file:

** (ospm:26929): WARNING **: ospm-hal-support.c/510: could not get system bus:
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or
directory

hal init failed

** (ospm:26931): WARNING **: ospm-hal-support.c/510: could not get system bus:
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or
directory

hal init failed

They are warnings however.