I was using the patch cluster from June 3.
I read all the README's for that patch cluster and there wasn't
anything about upgrading patch utilities first - which patches are
those?

At this point I can't roll back and see exactly what patches were on
the system without going back to tape, but it hadn't been patched in
a while. A more recently built and patched S10u3 server didn't have
the same problems.