On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Ben Rockwood <b...@cuddletech.com> wrote:
> Has any one invested time trying to get IPKG branded zones working on
> S10/SX:CE?  I'm starting down that road and have had fairly good
> progress to date but would love to collaborate.

Yes, I have done an ipkg zone on SXCE.  My motivation was to be able
to use AI to install the 2008.11 preview on an LDom.  My notes appear
below.  I believe that they are fairly complete for initial
bootstrapping.  Note that there is a bit of "git r done" in it, rather
than generating appropriate source code fixes.

What do you perceive as the motivation for ipkg zones on S10?  If I
squint just right, I think that I can see the mapping of packages,
patches, update releases, etc. to IPS constructs.  Is this what you
have in mind, or something else?  I assume that with SXCE your plan of
attack would be to leverage the work done for the opensolaris distro
for ips branded zones.  Is that a reasonable assumption?

Anyway, here was my first run through this effort.  Starting point is
a SXCE 108 T5120 with SUWNCXall, zfs root

1.  Get pkg-gate from mercurial

$ hg clone ssh://a...@hg.opensolaris.org/hg/pkg/gate
destination directory: gate
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 1040 changesets with 13427 changes to 7444 files
4779 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved

2.  Build pkg

$ export PATH=$PATH:/apps/studio12/SUNWspro/bin
$ cd gate/src
$ make
$ make packages

3.  Install packages

# cd gate/packages
# pkgadd -d . all

4.  Fake global zone's notion of entire

Modify /usr/lib/brand/ipkg/pkgcreatezone.  Just before the point where it
would error out, force it to match the SXCE build of the global zone.

if [[ -z $entire_fmri ]]; then
        fail_incomplete "$f_no_entire"

5.  Create the zone

# zonecfg -z ipkg
ipkg: No such zone configured
Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
zonecfg:ipkg> create -t SUNWipkg
zonecfg:ipkg> set zonepath=/zones/ipkg
zonecfg:ipkg> set autoboot=false
# set up network as well
zonecfg:ipkg> verify
zonecfg:ipkg> commit
zonecfg:ipkg> exit

6.  Install the zone

# export http_proxy=<insert proxy here>
# zoneadm -z ipkg install -P opensolaris.org=http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/
A ZFS file system has been created for this zone.
pkg: No image found.
   Publisher: Using opensolaris.org (http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/).
 done.                                 root ...Refreshing Catalog
Sanity Check: Looking for 'entire' incorporation.
  Installing: Core System (output follows)
DOWNLOAD                                    PKGS       FILES     XFER (MB)
Completed                                  26/26   2790/2790   52.48/52.48

PHASE                                        ACTIONS
Install Phase                              6147/6147
  Installing: Additional Packages (output follows)
DOWNLOAD                                    PKGS       FILES     XFER (MB)
Completed                                  32/32   5449/5449   31.63/31.63

PHASE                                        ACTIONS
Install Phase                              7083/7083
PHASE                                          ITEMS
Indexing Packages                              60/60

        Note: Man pages can be obtained by installing SUNWman
 Postinstall: Copying SMF seed repository ... done.
 Postinstall: Applying workarounds.
        Done: Installation completed in 576 seconds.

  Next Steps: Boot the zone, then log into the zone console
             (zlogin -C) to complete the configuration process

7.  Configure the zone

# zoneadm -z ipkg boot ; zlogin -C ipkg
[Connected to zone 'ipkg' console]
Hostname: ipkg

8.  Install installadm, java

These steps could be done more efficiently... it was trial and error
to get the packages I needed.

r...@ipkg:~# pkg install SUNWinstalladm-tools
DOWNLOAD                                    PKGS       FILES     XFER (MB)
Completed                                  13/13   1641/1641     9.43/9.43

PHASE                                        ACTIONS
Install Phase                              2175/2175
PHASE                                          ITEMS
Reading Existing Index                           9/9
Indexing Packages                              74/74

I did the same for SUNWless, SUNWmkcd, SUNWrsync.  I forget whether I
needed to this for SUNWdsd or not.

Import the services...

r...@ipkg:~# svcadm restart manifest-import

Beyond this I got into a fair amount of trial and error, specifically
related to getting AI and DHCP to work.  This isn't really needed for
a generic ipkg zone, however.

Mike Gerdts