On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:50 AM, James Carlson <james.d.carl...@sun.com> wrote:
> Ouch.  The man page for zonecfg(1M) says:
>
>     A sparse zone inherits the following directories:
>
>       /lib
>       /platform
>       /sbin
>       /bin
>
>     Although zonecfg allows you to remove one  of  these  as  an
>     inherited directory, you should not do so. You should either
>     follow the whole-root model or the sparse model; a subset of
>     the sparse model is not tested and you might encounter unex-
>     pected problems.

I don't see /usr in that list. However, I've built a test machine and
when I try to do a live upgrade I get this error:

# luupgrade -n secondary -u -s /cdrom/cdrom0

42092 blocks
miniroot filesystem is <lofs>
Mounting miniroot at </cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot>
Validating the contents of the media </cdrom/cdrom0>.
The media is a standard Solaris media.
The media contains an operating system upgrade image.
The media contains <Solaris> version <10>.
Constructing upgrade profile to use.
Locating the operating system upgrade program.
Checking for existence of previously scheduled Live Upgrade requests.
Creating upgrade profile for BE <secondary>.
Determining packages to install or upgrade for BE <secondary>.
Performing the operating system upgrade of the BE <secondary>.
CAUTION: Interrupting this process may leave the boot environment unstable
or unbootable.
ERROR: Installation of the packages from this media of the media
failed; pfinstall returned these diagnostics:

Processing profile

ERROR: This slice can't be upgraded because of missing usr packages
for the following zones:

ERROR:    testzone

ERROR:    testzone

ERROR: This slice cannot be upgraded because of missing usr packages
for one or more zones.
The Solaris upgrade of the boot environment <secondary> failed.
# ls /space/testzone