Elizabeth Schwartz writes:
> >     Although zonecfg allows you to remove one  of  these  as  an
> >     inherited directory, you should not do so. You should either
> >     follow the whole-root model or the sparse model; a subset of
> >     the sparse model is not tested and you might encounter unex-
> >     pected problems.
> I don't see /usr in that list.

Good point.  However the original issue about using a subset of the
sparse stands.  It's never tested and unlikely to work right.

> Am I just hosed? Do I need to rebuild my machines with whole-root
> zones? That's gonna eat up some space.

If you need whole-root, then that's what you'll need to do.  You may
want to check out the ZFS clone features, as that'll save a
significant amount of space.

In some cases, you don't actually need whole-root.  All you really
need are some writable directories inside the inherited mount points.
In those cases, you can set up lofs mounts to provide writable storage
to the zone.

James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carl...@sun.com>