("create -b" is simpler and has essentially the same effect, but isn't
supported because it removes all inherited directories, and if we were
ever to add more directories, it may remove ones that shouldn't be
removed.)

Is this a recent change ? zonecfg create starts off with /etc/zones/SUNWdefault.xml as your starting configuration and includes the set of inherit-pkg-dir directories that you describe. zonecfg create -b starts off with /etc/zones/SUNWblank.xml which is pretty much what it says, a blank configuration. I'm trying to understand your caution against the use of -b not being supported. To me it seems more safe than relying on removing 4 fixed inherit-pkg-dirs which we might change in the
future, although at this point certainly seems unlikely.

Bob