Hi,

hat exactly are you trying to do, and why won't it work on a regular
64-bit kernel?  Do you just want to limit the output of 'isainfo', or
is there something more to it?

Exactly -- ... The problem occured while I was creating a package for the new QEMU version. That package should contain the 64 bit binaries and the 32 bit binaries. The configure script for QEMU uses isainfo to decide what kind of binaries to build.

I can simply change the configure script but then I've to do this for every new version .... or I can write a wrapper for isainfo (that's what I did).

regards

Bernd

James Carlson wrote:
Bernd Schemmer writes:
I'm running OpenSolaris on a T61p with 64 Bit CPUs. Sometimes I need a 32 Bit OpenSolaris instance (e.g. to compile 32 Bit binaries without changing the make files). I can do this with either rebooting into 32 Bit or within a VirtualBox /QEMU virtual machine but it would be more elegant to use Zones for this task.

Can this be done (I did not find a solution in the docs ...)?

I'm not sure it makes sense.  First of all, individual processes are
either 32-bit or 64-bit.  It's perfectly normal to run 32-bit
processes on a 64-bit kernel, and to run them side-by-side with 64-bit
processes.

Secondly, it's the kernel itself that's uniquely either 32-bit or
64-bit on a given system.  There's only one kernel for all of the
zones, so there's no way to run a 32-bit kernel for just one zone.

In fact, we generally build our 32-bit kernels and user space on
64-bit systems.  Building there works fine; special 32-bit systems
aren't needed (and aren't even possible with SPARC).

What exactly are you trying to do, and why won't it work on a regular

--
Bernd Schemmer, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
http://bnsmb.de/

M s temprano que tarde el mundo cambiar .
                       Fidel Castro