On 08/18/09 16:42, Robert Hartzell wrote:
 > Steffen Weiberle wrote:
How many ways do you have to get to the internet? I hope two, since 10.0.0.0/24 will need one.

I am not able to picture your setup, however, take a look at

Maybe a better explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish would help.
This is my current setup which works well. The firewall does NAT so my public IP is translated to 10.0.0.2

   cable modem

   firewall(10.0.0.1)

      nic1 (10.0.0.2)
---bastion host----------
      nic2(192.168.0.100)

     switch

host1 host2 host3 host(n)
(all on 192.168.0.0/24)

That helps. So you are trying to do the following?:

   cable modem

   firewall(10.0.0.1)

      nic1 (10.0.0.2), vnic1 (10.0.0.3), vnic2 (10.0.0.4),
    |                  vnic3 (10.0.0.5)
---bastion host----------
      nic2(192.168.0.100)

     switch

host1 host2 host3 host(n)
(all on 192.168.0.0/24)

where dns, mail, and webserver would be using vnic[123]?

If so, I take it their default router is 10.0.0.1.

Getting to/from them from 192.168.0.0/24 may be tricky, as they are really only outbound facing, and I doubt your firewall knows to send things back to 10.0.0.2 if the destination is 192.168.0.0.

I gotta think about this is this is what you are really doing--not sure that using zones vs. discrete systems on the 10.0.0.0 subnet would really behave differently (the nice thing about exclusive IP instances is that it really is very close to separate hardware at that level).

Shared IP Instances might introduce other routing issues, but they may not apply here.

Steffen

Three public services run on the bastion host (dns, mail, webserver) and I thought I would introduce another level of security by moving these into zones but it has proven to be more difficult then I had anticipated because of the two subnets. All of my testing was done on a workstation with only network involved. All though I have limited experience with zones this seems like something that shouldn't be too difficult to set up.

--
 Robert W Hartzell
bear at rwhartzell.net
  RwHartzell.Net