Robert Hartzell wrote:
I have a host that's on two subnets: (all external facing services through a firewall) (internal lan)
I wish to move my external services into zones (dns, smtp, webstack) but am having problems which I believe are caused by routing issues. In the global zone 2 nics are assigned the address & So I create a vnic on the subnet and then a zone, only one problem, no route out of the subnet. I believe this would be fixed by enabling ipv4-routing & ipv4-forwarding so I try:

# routeadm -e ipv4-routing
Pattern 'route:default' doesn't match any instances

I believe that would be fixed by "pkg install SUNWroute", which of course I can't do because there is no route out...

Any thoughts on how I can fix this or if I'm even on the right track.

If you want to run dynamic routing inside an OpenSolaris exclusive-IP zone, then you need to add that package (the set of packages you get by default in a non-global zone is quite small).

You can do that from the global zone after the non-global zone is installed by
        zoneadm -z myzone mount
        pkg install -R <path to myzone's root> SUNWroute
        zoneadm -z myzone unmount

You can also do this when the zone is installed using
        zoneadm -z myzone install -e SUNWroute
(you can have addional '-e SUNWfoo -e SUNWbar' arguments if you need more packages).