are you running opensolaris?

if so, i'm guessing that the problem is the format of the hashed
password.  by default, solaris version <= 10 and nevada use crypt for
hashing passwords, but opensolaris uses SHA256.  these settings seem to
be controlled via /etc/security/policy.conf.  just search for string
CRYPT_* in that file and read the associated comments.

ed