> I'm looking to prove that by using a zone I can increase the overall
> stability of a server (if the app falls over it can't the the machine with
> it).

A kernel panic is a kernel panic is a kernel panic. :-)

So if an app crashes the complete zone, chances are it will crash the
entire box.  After all, it's only one Solaris kernel running.

> Does anyone know of a program/script that would bring down a server if it
> was running in the glabal zone, but wouldn't take the system down if it ran
> in a non-global zone?

Out of idle curiosity, it would be interesting to find such a program
or script.  But I am afraid it would not prove much.

Sorry to sound so discouraging.  Zones are good for sandboxing apps,
sharing hardware in a transparent way, providing uniform service
containers for higher-level management (e.g. cluster), for localizing
namespaces (uid/gid; /etc/services & ports, etc.) and many other things.

Just not for kernel-crash-proofing the physical server.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: v...@bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 45
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt