We are fully aware of that Hiram. We are still a sub project of Hadoop and
have been on sourceforge for a while. For being a sub project the Hadoop PMC
needs to vote for it. Zookeeper is in the future roadmap of Hadoop for High
Availability/ configuration management and mounting of different
filesystems.
So that's why were able to get in as a subproject of Hadoop.
We are trying to build a community of diverse committers and developers and
its just the start :).

Hope you guys can help :).

Mahadev