>>> * Netty - allow encryption btw servers (potentially clients too)
>>
>> Yes! Yes! Both server and client, please!  As we discussed, we want to
>> use ZooKeeper as a coordination service within a network which
>> shouldn't be *entirely* trusted, and this is a critical feature for
>> this reason.
>
> I believe Ben's worked out most of the server-server comm changes, but there
> are still many rough edges I planned to take up and work out. We'd need ppl
> to test it. If it's something you'd want to use it would be in your best
> interest to do so prior to the release. Client-Server support is a different
> matter, we'd have to see how the server works out first re release timing.

Ok, understood.  Do you think the implementation of server-client
support would be relatively straightforward once server-server is in
place?

> Depends if someone is interested enough to work on it. ;-) It's an
> interesting project that's not too difficult however there hasn't been much
> deep thinking on it yet to uncover all the potential difficulties.

I am interested, and depending on how things go, I do think this
feature would help the design of the system.  I'm pretty sure I won't
be able to put my own time on it, though.  My best bet is for someone
else from the community to take it over, or for us to find someone
which would be able to contribute more directly.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net