I think that the stunnel suggestion actually covers what you want here.

You can set stunnel up so that it listens to a known port and it decrypts
and forwards traffic to the local zookeeper client port.  You can guarantee
that no direct connections are possible to the zookeeper in a variety of
ways, the simplest being a change to zookeeper to allow it to insist that
all connections be from localhost.

Stunnel can also insist on client certificates so that only approved clients
would be able to connect.

Your packaged version of zookeeper would include both zookeeper and
stunnel.  You would recommend that iptables be set up to prevent any
attempted connections, but this would only be defense in depth.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

111 West Evelyn Ave. Ste. 202