Observers would be awesome especially with a couple enhancements / extensions:

An option for the observers to enter a special state if the WAN link goes down
to the "master" cluster.  A read-only option would be great.
However, allowing certain types of writes to continue on a limited basis would
be highly valuable as well.  An observer could "own" a special node and its
subnodes.  Only these subnodes would be writable by the observer when there was
a session break to the master cluster, and the master cluster would take all
the changes when the link is reestablished.  Essentially, it is a portion of
the hierarchy that is writable only by a specitfic observer, and read-only for
others.
The purpose of this would be for when the WAN link goes down to the "master"
ZKs for certain types of use cases - status updates or other changes local to
the observer that are strictly read-only outside the Observer's 'realm'.