I had not thought of adding latency to the network interface.  I have
skimmed descriptions of how to do this with iptables (or ipchains - I can't
remember which is the standard now) - so it sounds plausible.  Whether this
is within my capabilities is another matter.

I really do not follow the delegator approach.  Is this something I would
patch into Zookeeper ?  Or the client ?