"100mb partition"? sounds like virtualization. resource starvation (worse in virtualized env) is a common cause of this. Are your clients gcing/swapping at all? If a client gc's for long periods of time the heartbeat thread won't be able to run and the server will expire the session. There is a min/max cap that the server places on the client timeouts (it's negotiated), check the client log for detail on what timeout it negotiated (logged in 3.3 releases)

take a look at this and see if you can make progress:

My guess is that your client is gcing for long periods of time - you can rule this in/out by turning on gc logging in your clients and then viewing the results after another such incident happens (try gchisto for graphical view)