Possibly.

I have seen GC times of > 4 minutes on some large processes.  Better to set
the GC parameters so you don't get long pauses.

On http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/Troubleshooting it mentions using
the "-XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC" options.  I recommend
adding

    -XX:+UseParNewGC
    -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
    -XX:+DisableExplicitGC

You may want to tune the actual parameters of the GC itself.  These should
not be used in general, but might be helpful for certain kinds of servers:

    -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=6
    -XX:SurvivorRatio=6
    -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60
    -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly

Finally, you should always add options for lots of GC diagnostics:

    -XX:+PrintGCDetails
    -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
    -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jzimmer...@proofpoint.com