This is correct for the default configuration. I deemed CMF site creation fast enough at that time. In PloneTestCase, for example, we instantiate a single portal at import time and reuse it for every test. In the end it is a simple matter of overriding getPortal (which is a hook that exists for this very purpose).

Note that I plan to reevaluate PortalTestCase/CMFTestCase in the light of CMF 1.5+ now that my Plone workload has eased a bit.

Stefan