Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:

yuppie wrote:

I agree with your concerns. Views and the FiveActionsTool both use
Five/Zope3 technology for the price of dropping TTW/GenericSetup support
and introducing a second way to do the same things.

Hmm, I'm not sure I see how we are trading away GenericSetup support.  I
was under the FiveActonsTool *supplements* the stock action providers,
exposing Zope3 menu items as actions.

Yes. But those supplemental Actions are not managed through GenericSetup. It would be easy to ship Five products with a setup profile that sets up the Actions. I'm sure they anyway need somme CMF specific setup.

A major advantage of GenericSetup over ZCML is the ability to change the configuration TTW and write it back to the file system.

While I didn't vote for including the FiveActionsTool into the CMF core
I support the effort to move to views. But we are not there yet and I
doubt we'll have view based skins in CMF 2.0 that can fully replace the
old CMF skins.

I imagine that we may be able to ship a separate "Five-aware" setup
profile, and allow folks to use it as an alternative.  Likely we can
configure the views into place in either case,  but have the "stock"
profile surface the skin methods / templates rather than views.

The TTW features are a strength of the CMF. The fact that Tres and
Phillip plan to sprint on local skin customization for CMF 2.1 is good
news. As I already said in an other mail I would not enable views by
default in CMF 2.0. For now I consider them an experimental feature of
the CMF that advanced users can enable if they want. As soon as
customization and other issues are resolved views should replace the old
skins machinery.

In particular, the cost of TTW flexibility is pretty high, both in terms
of performance and maintainability.  Shipping a version of the CMF which
allows folks who *don't* need or want the flexibility to avoid paying
those costs will be a win.

I guess those folks will enable the views using ZCML. But it sounds like a good idea to provide a setup profile that disables stuff that's not needed in that case.

Cheers,

        Yuppie