On 4/15/07, Martin Aspeli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Alec Mitchell wrote at 2007-4-12 06:59 -0700:
>> ... deprecation of "getToolByName" ...
>> which is that there's no practical reason other than
>> aesthetics to deprecate getToolByName at this point.
> A very good point: let's deprecate deprecations done just for
> aethetical reasons :-)

Aesthetics were not the original reason for moving down this route, so
it's a little unfair to cast it in that light. The main drivers, as I
recall, were to encourage API usage that would allow us to move tools
out of content space eventually, and to make code depending on CMF tools
more consistent with "newer" code which may depend on new utilities (at
least in the Plone world, there is a general consensus that we'd rather
not have any more content-space tools from now on).

What is it about getToolByName that implies that tools are in content
space?  Consistency with "newer" code is an aesthetic concern as far
as I understand it.