Maurits van Rees wrote:
Rob Miller, on 2007-06-21:
Wichert Akkerman wrote:
The new GS looks very nice, but from the ZMI UI I can no longer see how
I can import only selected steps of an extension profile. I hope that is
still possible; it can be extremely useful. It looks like the import and
export tab only act on the base profiels now.
hmm... i think that the aggregate of all of the steps from the various profiles that have ever been imported should show up on the import screen, so it should be possible to select ones that were added by a specific extension profile. but this doesn't help, of course, when you only want to re-import the portal types step from an extension profile.

Indeed: currently you will just import the portal types as defined by
the base profile.

so you're right, the UI is missing a piece. two pieces, actually. on the 'profiles' tab, there should be another button, "load import steps", which will register the steps w/o actually running them. (importing a profile does this for you.) then the import and export tabs can have a dropdown that lets you choose from any profiles that have had the steps loaded.

i won't be able to get to that until next week, unfortunately.  anyone else?

I have some code that I think does the first part: adding a button on
the Profiles tab and adding some code to support it:

great!  thanks!

During testing I noticed that my knowledge of GenericSetup might be
flawed though, as I discovered some things that were new to me, so I
have some questions that crept up.

1. In GenericSetup 1.2, if you select an extension profile on the
   Properties tab (now called Profiles), and then go to the Import tab
   and import all steps, is that extension profile then basically
   treated as a BASE profile?

no, it's still an extension profile. the tab formerly known as "properties" was where you would select the "active" profile. the active profile could be either a base or an extension profile. since these have different implications when you run them, it was a bit odd that you'd use the same mechanism for doing so.

2. What needs to happen on the import tab now on trunk?  We want a
   drop down that lists all extension profiles.  When I select one of
   those extension profiles, should I get a list of only those steps
   for which this profile has an xml file?  Or should I just get a
   list of all steps available (several dozen on Plone 3) and have the
   extension profile as context when I click the correct button?

as you said in your later post, this is not only not desirable, it's not possible. if you run a step that is unrelated to the profile which you have selected, nothing should happen. of course, it's up to the implementation of the import step to make sure this is the case. more on that below...

3. When I install Plone 3.0 with the new GenericSetup trunk, and go to
   the Import tab, there are about 37 steps listed.  That is a lot.
   Especially there are a few importVarious steps of different
   products, at least when you add some third party products in the
   Products dir.  I do not know how widespread and generally accepted
   those importVarious steps are for third party products.  I do
   notice that in the current situation in Plone 3 when you go to that
   import tab and click Import All Steps, all registered steps are
   tried, including all third party importVarious steps.

yep, that's as it should be.

   As a test I added my own eXtremeManagement product in the Products
   dir, which also has a GS extension profile with an importVarious
   step.  I registered this profile with the patch I linked to above.
   Then I tried to import all steps.  This meant that the
   eXtremeManagement importVarious step was run, which gave problems
   as it assumed some portal types to be available, which were not
   there.  I now fixed that by checking what the context is:

     def importVarious(context):
        if 'Products/eXtremeManagement/profiles/default' \
          not in context._profile_path:

   In fact, when running all import steps, the profile path of the
   context is that of CMFPlone:

   Anyway, for extension profiles we want to give the users a means on
   that import tab to get the context right.

   I guess my question is:

   A. Is my change to eXtremeManagement in the importVarious function
      above logical?  I committed it already, so it had better be. :)

it's a reasonable first pass, and it's much better than not having it there. a better approach would be that taken by Plone, where you have the import step check the profile for the existence of a file with a specific name. if the file exists, run the step, if not, don't. then you 'touch' that file so it exists in your profile.

   B. These importVarious steps that eXtremeManagement and other
      products define, and that cannot be mapped to other handlers,
      are they good practice?  Or are they an abomination, bound to
      lead to problems?

they're not exactly an abomination, but they do have a gigantic gotcha that you've hit on here. i'll restate it clearly:

all of the XML-based import steps already do this; they check for the existence of a specific XML file, and if they find it they perform the action. if they do not find the file, no problem, they do nothing.

the so-called 'importVarious' steps, i.e. any step that uses a plain old python function as its handler (as opposed to building on the existing XML parsing infrastructure), must perform this check explicitly. you could restrict it to only running when the intended profile is the one being imported, or you could check for the existence of a specific file within the profile. i like the latter choice.

i tried to say this in my tutorial on (, but i wrote that some time ago, it could probably be updated to be more clear about this issue.

anyway, hope this clears things up.