Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously yuppie wrote:
Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously yuppie wrote:
Running the trunk unit tests triggers warnings like this one:
"UserWarning: Version for profile Products.GenericSetup:default taken
>from version.txt. This is deprecated behaviour: please specify the
version in metadata.xml."

I like the fact that using version.txt for the profile version is deprecated. But you now get always a deprecation warning if no metadata.xml exists in the profile. Is that intended? Is specifying a version now required?
It isn't required - it is fine if a profile has no version. What I did
is add a deprecation warning when the profile metadata did not specify
a version and the version was read from a version.txt file. If you have
no version.txt you will not see the deprecation warning.
But if you *have* a version.txt file the only way to get rid of the deprecation warnings is to add a version in metadata.xml. Right? That's annoying because there is nothing wrong about having a version.txt file and no metadata.xml file.

Indeed, and I agree it is annoying. We should make a decision on when we
will remove that version.txt fallback logic and add that to the
deprecation warning.

In most cases this deprecation warning is false alarm because the deprecated behavior is not really used. A note in CHANGES.txt might be more useful than this deprecation warning.

Cheers, Yuppie