yuppie wrote:
> CMFDefault registers portal_setup as utility. Some code in CMF depends
> on that.
> Plone doesn't doesn't register portal_setup as utility:
> http://dev.plone.org/plone/changeset/18763
> That causes some trouble in Plone:
> http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7714
> The same issue was reported as CMF bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/+bug/263525
> Due to a misunderstanding the CMF bug was marked as 'Won't Fix'.
> Questions: Is there a good reason why Plone doesn't register
> portal_setup as utility? Does the same reason apply to CMFDefault? Do we
> have to support registered and not registered portal_setup tools?

The reason why we don't register the setup tool as an utility anymore,
is that too many import/export steps in-the-wild required the REQUEST to
be available.

In general we removed the tool as utility registrations for all tools
where a request was still required. We'd like to put those back only
after the request is really not used anymore i.e. after the code has
been adjusted - not force any code to be changed due to the utility

I'd prefer the portal_setup tool utility registration to be removed again.