  AS> Trying Zope 2.6.0a1 and ZEO 2.0a1. The storage server seemed to
  AS> come up fine, but when trying to start the ZEO client it pretty
  AS> much sucked.

It looks like you would have had the same problems without ZEO.  It
would be helpful if you could try running Zope without ZEO, just with

  AS> I really should include the log file it produced but it's quite
  AS> long.  I put it up at
  AS> http://eng.purdue.edu/people/sydelko/zope_2.6a1_log_1

  AS> It ended up dying at the end, but that I think I can fix.

  AS> I'd really like someone to clue me into why everything else
  AS> complained.

The errors in the log are all about failures to import specific
modules.  (Let me know if I missed something else.)

    Failed to import class Splitter from module

When I import Products...ZopeSplitter, I see a module with a Splitter
attribute bound to a function.

The other import problem I see is

    Zope Could not import Products.HTMLDocument

Is HTMLDocument a standard product or a 3rd party product?  I don't
see one in my 2.6 checkout.  If it's 3rd part, then I expect it needs
to be upgrade to work with 2.6.