On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 08:00  PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 20:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Could we get the Install and Configuration proposal cleaned up, with so
many comments it's not clear what the actual proposal proposes to
deliver now.
Yes when possible.  I agree that it is a bit of a mess.

In the meantime, I think this list summarizes the adjusted goals well:

    * configure; make; make install installation
I thought that there was an effort to use distutils, or to at least use a distutils-ish setup. What happened to that?

    * control script for starting/stopping/debugging zope
    * config file for all options including logging,
      servers, and databases.
I gather from reading other posts that this is a different format than Zope 3's ZCML. Would it be worth it to at least make some sort of 'ZCML Lite' to do this sort of configuration? The main thing I'm concerned about is that there's a whole new Zope coming down the road that depends heavily on configuration files, and it might make sense to start weaning people onto its general syntax if Zope 2's finally going to have a config file.

    * real "effective user" support (logfiles, database files, etc.
      dont get written as root if you start as root).
    * better support for instance home/software home split
    * better support for Windows services

    * RPM-building support.
Yawn.  :)

    * where possible, the banishment of environment variables
      as configuration.

All of these things save for the last are more or less complete on the
"chrism-install-branch" of the Zope trunk. The major missing piece is
the fleshing out of the interaction between the configuration system
(ZConfig) and Zope itself. It works currently but it needs to be
improved and canonized to everyone's liking. Since ZConfig will also
used by other ZC software (ZEO, ZRS), there's a bit of back and forth
that needs to be done to get everybody to agree on a way to do it. Once
that is worked out, and the proposal is cleaned up, I think we can just
ZRS? This isn't the long-discussed replicated storage is it?

Anyways - good work. The better support for Windows services alone would get you a beer if I happened to be on that coast.. :)

(Related lists - http://lists.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-announce